In 1935 Sir Arthur Churchman, Lord Woodbridge, gifted to the town of Woodbridge the land behind his property in the town centre for use as an ornamental park. This is the Elmhurst Park we enjoy today. In 1952, in what had been the walled garden of the original grounds, a bowls green was laid and Woodbridge Bowls Club formed, many of the first members coming from the defunct Crown Bowls Club.
The green, which is fully owned by the Club, is surrounded by a boundary wall built in 1812. A Victorian greenhouse was demolished to provide space for the new clubhouse.
The green was relaid in 2000 and provides an excellent playing surface. The Club has about 70 bowling members and participates in both BE and EBF leagues and competitions. There is also an active Bridge Section which meets throughout the year.
Woodbridge Bowls Club is the only bowls club located in Woodbridge Town